tax identification number

Do you need a Tax Identification Number (TIN) if you don’t have a job?

Tax Identification Numbers / Unemployed but need a TIN? We break down who exactly needs a Tax ID Number in the Philippines.

Many people in the Philippines may wonder if they need to get a Tax Identification Number (TIN) if they don’t currently have a job or source of income. The answer is – it depends on your situation. Here’s what you need to know:

tax identification number

What is a Tax Identification Number (TIN)?

A TIN is a unique number assigned by the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) to individuals and businesses for tax purposes. It allows the BIR to track tax payments and tax compliance. A TIN is required for filing taxes, registering a business, claiming tax refunds, and other official transactions.

When is a TIN required?

In the Philippines, you are required to register for a TIN if:

– You are employed, whether locally or overseas. All employees are required to get a TIN.
– You are self-employed or run your own business, including freelancers, entrepreneurs, and professionals like doctors, lawyers, etc.
– You have rental income from real properties like apartments, buildings, etc.
– You are purchasing real property. A TIN is needed when buying or selling real estate.
– You have other sources of income like commissions, etc.

Essentially, you need a TIN if you earn income, whether from employment, business, or investments. The BIR requires individuals earning income to pay the right taxes.

Are unemployed individuals required to get a TIN?

If you don’t have a job or any source of income, you are not yet required to register for a TIN. The BIR does not compel unemployed individuals to get a TIN since they do not earn anything to be taxed.

However, it is still highly recommended to register for and get your TIN even if unemployed. Having a TIN makes it easier to get employment, open a bank account, get a postpaid mobile plan, apply for loans, invest, and transact with government agencies.

Think of your TIN as your national ID for financial and legal purposes. It identifies you as a taxpayer and facilitates important transactions needed for adulting. Besides, getting a TIN is easy, convenient, and free of charge anyway.

How to register for a TIN

Registering for a TIN is a simple process. The steps vary depending on your employment status and source of income.

For Employed Individuals (Earning Compensation Income Only)

1. Download BIR Form 1902 from the BIR website.
2. Fill out the form completely.
3. Submit the accomplished form to your employer, along with the required supporting documents.

For Self-Employed, Business Owners, and Other Income Earners

  1. Determine which BIR Form applies to your situation: Form 1901 (for self-employed and professionals), Form 1903 (for corporations and partnerships), or Form 1904 (for estates and trusts).
  2. Download and complete the appropriate form.
  3. Submit the accomplished form to the Revenue District Office (RDO) nearest to your place of business or residence, along with the required attachments.

You can find detailed instructions and a list of requirements for TIN registration on the BIR website here.

Do You Need a TIN if You’re Unemployed?

Yes, it’s advisable to obtain a TIN even if you’re currently unemployed. Having a TIN offers several benefits, and it will serve as your national identification number for tax purposes when you eventually find employment or start a business. Securing a TIN early can save you time and effort in the future.

Related Posts


  1. I do agree with you especially if you plan to get employed soon. Getting TIN as soon as possible will spare you the hassle when it’s finally time to get one.

  2. Clarice says:

    This is good to know. I agree with you that it is good to have even if you are not yet employed or still looking for a job.

  3. Amber Myers says:

    This is helpful info. I don’t know a lot about taxes so this post can come in handy.

  4. Kathy says:

    This is such great info for those who need this. I always wondered about doing taxes if you don’t have a job, so this is great for those who need this.

  5. Hannah Bures says:

    This is an interesting post! I have never really thought if I needed one before!

  6. This is something that I have been curious about. Thank you for explaining it!

    1. Vidya says:

      Getting all the information needed about taxes and finances is so very useful, anytime and always..

  7. Business and tax issues can be confusing. It is good to make sure you have the right information when it comes to work and filing taxes.

  8. Melanie E says:

    It sounds like it is a good idea to have a TIN number just in case it becomes something you will need at some stage. Having this before you need it will save you time and give you peace of mind.

  9. This is a very informative post on a subject many struggle to understand. Thanks for sharing!

  10. LisaLisa says:

    You’ve shared some very important information in this post. It’s important to make sure you have a TIN when the time is needed. I’ve had one for years now for our business.

  11. Very informative, i had no idea about all this, very helpful post

  12. Vidya says:

    always good to be well educated in everything about taxes and finances for every bit of knowledge can help us so much

  13. Such an informative post. Yes, a TIN is required there in the Philippines. I did have one when I was living there and employed.

  14. I find it incredibly helpful to understand the importance of TINs, even for those who are currently unemployed.

  15. It is so important to educate yourself about taxes and finances, having this knowledge goes along way. Thanks for sharing

  16. Such a detailed and informative post, definitely helpful especially to those who haven’t gotten their TIN number yet. This would have been a great help for me before I got my TIN number.

  17. I’ve just been at the BIR recently and they don’t give out TIN if you don’t have an employer. They said they need the TIN number of the employer before you can apply for a TIN

    1. Actually, if you are employed, the employer will be the one to apply in your behalf. You can apply even if you’re unemployed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *